Location Currango is on the Eastern side of Tantangara Plain, and is accessible from the Snowy Mountain Highway, up the Tantangara Dam road, by 2WD car.
Currango consists of 29 buildings built over a long period. There are three main buildings within the group - Daffodil, the main House and The Pines. It was initially constructed in 1851 for grazing, with particular periods from 1893-1908, 1915-1919 and 1925-1926.
Previously, Tom O'Rourke had a summer grazing camp on the site in 1839.
Early owners included O'Rourke, Leopold de Salis (of Canberra fame), Arthur Triggs, Australian Estates and others.
In 1944 the Kosciusko State Park took over, and appointed Tom and Molly Taylor as managers and to monitor stock numbers. They were granted life occupancy in 1967, when the area formally became part of the National Park.
Nowadays, Currango is rented to visitors, who come consistently year after year for fishing, walking or relaxing. Stewart Garner and family serve as on-site caretakers.
Friends of Currango are a group of people dedicated to maintaining this homestead in excellent condition. They also organise visits, walks, publications and the like, to support its restoration. Visit their excellent website for details.
Currango is the most operational homestead in the KNP, consisting of three main buildings and a number of sheds. Visitors may stay in the main homestead, in "The Pines" or at Daffodil Cottage.