Scientific / Exploration
Cootapatamba Hut was constructed by the Snowy Mountains Authority c1952 as an emergency shelter for hydrologists monitoring stations on Cootapatamba Creek — which in the early stages of the Snowy Mountains Scheme was proposed to be diverted through aqueducts and tunnels to supply a ‘Kosciusko Reservoir’ on Spencers Creek near The Chalet.
A detailed report on the CSIRO Rabbit Research Hut by Graham Scully, coordinator of the Huts and Histroy Group for KHA.
The CSIRO Rabbit Research Hut was built in 1964 as accommodation for researchers investigating the effectiveness of the Myxomatosis biological control upon rabbits. Rabbits were trapped, marked and observed in their warrens from a number of hides around a study area overlooking the Gungarlin River. The Snowy Plain study site was one of four used in these tests, and remained in use up to 1980.
Derschkos Hut was constructed by the Snowy Mountains Authority c1960 as an emergency shelter for hydrologists monitoring precipitation, snow depths and stream flows across the headwaters of the Tumut and Tooma Rivers after two men became trapped in an oversnow vehicle for 3 days during a blizzard.
Download an article from the Monaro Mercury, circa 1898, describing the construction of the observatory on the top of Mt. Kosciuszko.
Adrian Ingleby has directed us to some articles in relation to the design of the Observatory Hut, and also relating to the “Hatch” which Basil Newth built in 1899 to allow entry and exit during the winter months.
Three article published by Trove describing the difficult winter conditions suffered by our early scientists.